Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The beginning of a new EQ project S800 EQ


Right! I told myself that I wouldn't start another blog. But here I am typing away like a fool! Anyway, I thought it would be good to document what I am doing with my soldering iron. I haven't been building pro audio stuff for long. I'm only on my second project as we speak. But damn! I'm having such fun building this stuff that I think I'm going to carry on. I'm posting progression and documents here so that perhaps others that are keen to get stuck in might benefit. there are a lot of projects about and few resources that actually help. So keep your eyes peeled, there might be something worth looking at here one day.

S800 EQ 

I came across this project on the favorite Groupdiy forum. If you havent been  there yet, do yourself a favor and go have a look. It is the number one resource for pro audio DIY enthusiasts. The S800 EQ is based on the famous Trident EQ found in their classic S80 console.



The S800 EQ project info is found at the link below.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=29759.0

Basically, the boards are not made anymore. There was a guy called Peter who used to make and supply them. But these days, you might have to source some unused second hand ones or get someone to make them up for you. Gustav at PCB grinder has a "one off" type service. Give him a shout, he might be able to help you. You might need to get hold of the Gerber files. Your guess is as good as mine.  I was lucky enough to find 4 boards on the GroupDiy "Black Market" board.

There is a serious lack of information on this EQ. Its an old project, there are not a lot of people around anymore that seem to be supporting it. There is however a really great company called Audio Maintenance Limited who sell parts kits for the S800. Their kits are very good, they supplies some seriously high quality components.

S800 EQ schematic & BOM 

Some guys have been having a hard time finding the schematic for this project. here it is thanks to Peterc

S800 bill of materials. 

Highly reccomended to buy a kit from Audio Maintanace limited but here is the BOM if your looking for it. 

Resource Peterc

Just keep checking back, I'm going to be posting images of my progress and my failings. I would like to think that my mistakes are going to help some of you guys!

S800 EQ PCB




No comments:

Post a Comment